Friday, September 24, 2010

I Hate When the Phone Rings Before I'm Awake.

My Papa was hurt this morning. :( I was laying in bed rather late... and I heard the distinct ring of the phone that I have set for my grandparent's number. I attempted to hobble out of bed fast as I could (which isn't too fast anymore), of course I didn't make it to the phone before the ringing stopped.

My cousin answered when I called back, she told me papa fell from the top of the porch this morning. Apparently he had taken her dog out for a walk and the dog pulled him down the stairs quicker than he could grab his footing. :( He's got a fractured foot and some bumps and bruises.

On the positive side, it's not his ankle. An ankle is hard to heal even if you are young and healthy, I can't imagine the ramifications of a broken ankle in an elderly person. It's probably just as bad as breaking a hip. It's just a fracture... which I know sometimes a fracture is worse than a break but really there's less to heal. It may be more painful in some ways but he's got some good pain meds. He hit his head but it was the last thing that hit, so it didn't take the force of the impact entirely. He was also wearing a hat which protected his head, so he's only a little skunned up. He said something about his back hurting (probably from being wrenched down the stairs so forcefully)but by the time they got into the emergency room he wasn't that bothered by the back.

I'm certain he'll be fine. He has this amazing indomitable spirit, so much love from family and friends... so much support. He'll make it through this, but my heart hurts because he's hurt and it takes awhile to heal. He was just getting back into working and really enjoying the jobs he had. He's been teaching my big guy how to do so many things. I hope this is just a drop in the bucket for him and doesn't take him all that long to heal, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment