Saturday, September 11, 2010

Always Learning

Today I was reminded how truly far I have come as a parent...

I have spanked my children, really my child. My K and I grew up together, essentially. I really did not know how to parent gently because I was not parented gently and so he was spanked as a little guy. I'm not sure when I realized that it really doesn't work.. that it's what you do when you lash out at someone in anger and that it's really just extremely ineffective. What was I teaching him??

I wish I could take those moments back, but I can't. I can't live in my past only in the here and now... I thought about it on the ride home and realized he was spanked the most and with each child I've had I've used that 'tool' less and less. I'm not perfect and have lost it, even recently, but I do go back and apologize and say I'm in the wrong. I think that's even more important... that my children see me as human, not impervious to making mistakes.

Anyway. I'm proud of myself. Not proud that I was a spanker but proud that I realized that it doesn't work and have found other, more effective ways to 'discipline' my children. I'm always learning on this journey called being a parent. :) I hope I never stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment