Friday, October 30, 2009

Crash!

Inevitably whenever I have a ton of good things happening in my life, something has to happen to give me pause. I suppose this happens so I re-evaluate and continue to feel ever grateful for the blessings I do have.

Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from my father. When I answered it, I was chipper, cheery expecting a conversation about trick or treating times and the usual. Instead it went something like this...

Dad: Have you spoken to Grandma yet?

Me: No? Why? Do I need to speak to Grandma right now? What's going on? What happened?!

Dad: Papa had a seizure.

Me: WHAT!??!?!

Dad: I really don't know what's going on, other than Grandma called me and said Papa had some sort of seizure.

Me: OH FUCK!

I hurriedly got off the phone with him to quick call my grandma to find out just what the hell was going on. She had even less news for me than my father. ACK! Frustration! Apparently they were not together when my poor papa fainted. He was at a funeral for a friend and started to feel dizzy when they had stood up to sing. He felt dizzy and nauseous and decided he should sit down instead. That's the last thing he remembers, next thing he knows he's laying on the floor with everybody around him. The paramedics were called and he was whisked away to the emergency room.

So of course, I'm thinking he's had a seizure or a stroke or omg what!? I'm trying to remain in the positive but that is so miserably hard to do when you just don't.know.anything.of.the.situation. Especially for someone like me... *sigh*

Papa did not have a seizure. Or a stroke. He has no obvious neurological impairments (hehehe other than the obvious ones :P) and seems to be doing ok, a little weak.. a little tired but ok. They've run the gamut of tests on him and I think secretly he's reveling in all the attention... the dirty little imp. lol No.. he's really not. I'm certain he wants to come home as they do not let people sleep in there. His words, not mine.

My thoughts are.. he gave blood for some blood work yesterday morning, came home and ate a bowl of cereal, and then headed out for the funeral. The cereal likely caused a spike in his sugar and the blood work + standing for a long time probably caused a drop in his blood pressure. Not a very good combination, right? I mean, I'm no doctor but it seems logical enough. One side of me feels grateful, though, that he's in the hospital getting himself thoroughly checked out. He's deadset on living to 100. I'm pulling for him! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment